Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Dreaming of next Spring

I spend a lot of time in the cold months reading gardening magazines and thinking about what I will plant next Spring. As much as I love decorating and rearranging the inside of my house, my real love is decorating the outside with gardens. I love to try new plants every year but no matter what else I do, I always drift back to the cottage garden and think about how I can put my own twist on it. Whether it's planted in the ground or in containers, there is nothing more wonderful than the chaos of color and the heady fragrance of a cottage garden. Cottage gardens are so easy to start and nurture and the best part is that there is no right or wrong way to create one. Add some herbs (mint and lavender for sure), roses, delphiniums, daisies, hollyhocks, and maybe some foxgloves and anything else you love and you have a cottage garden. Planting the plants close together does two things: gives you the look you're after and keeps the weeds at bay. Unlike some types of gardens, you don't need much room to make this come to life.
You can learn more about how to create your own cottage garden at at these sites: http://oldfashionedliving.com/gardenthemes.html http://www.uvm.edu/pss/ppp/articles/engarden.htm.

The garden above is growing in Alaska! See more pictures of this lovely yard at:http://home.gci.net/~delphinium/gardens.html

No comments: