It is three weeks shy of two years since I last saw Mr. Bonomo and tonight, again, like a yearly ritual, I feel his loss so completely. I think of him everyday on some level or another but mostly, I have made peace with him being gone. However, the smell of Fall in the air, the cool nights and the onset of my favorite season is now touched by his loss. Sensory memory is such a powerful thing. The morning of November 20, 2006, I went back to work full time after being on medical leave for almost seven months. That morning I said good bye to Mr. B. as he sat on the kitchen table watching me leave and I never saw him again. Was he stolen, did he wander too far, did he choose to leave? I don't know. What I do know is that his absence has broken my heart. I put out hundreds of flyers, knocked on hundreds of doors and still, he was gone. So now I have a blog. Has someone out there seen him? Probably not but maybe. As I sat in a neck brace on my back porch day after day after neck surgery, this amazing little being loved me, entertained me and inspired a book. I miss you Mr. Bonomo. Where ever you are, I wish for you a full chow dish, lots of pats and lots of love. You are my Romeo.
Thursday, October 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It's so hard when you don't know what happened. I had a cat when I was young who ran away and came back 3 years later. He's a beauty, and is a soul who came to you for awhile and is now maybe helping someone else heal.
xoxoc
I am so sorry I wasn't able to answer your call last night. You usually don't call me so late so this morning, when I saw the missed call, I knew you were not ok. Mr. B will always be with you in the wonderful memories he left with you and through the book he inspired you to write. I love you very much. And be careful, I think the flowergirls might sense that you miss another feline...you don't want to get those two jealous! xx00xx
There's a fair amount of woods behind my house. For years there was an increasing population of rabbits, woodchucks, and some other small, grass nibbling creatures I never identified. These animals would appear in the early morning and evening to feed and we'd often watch them while eating dinner on our deck.
Then...
one day...
They simply stopped appearing.
At about the same time there was a rash of people hanging flyers on telephone poles and store windows about missing dogs...small dogs.
At about the same time the local newspaper and television news ran a series of stories about coyote sightings and a few altercations with hikers and people out walking their dogs.
I know that's not really a condolence remark, but disappearing pets is sadly, quite common and not the result of human bad guys.
God: Thank you for your comment. Unbelievably, I am living that same nightmare again right now. It's day three and she's still gone. I know there are no coyotes here where I live. I am hoping she was closed up somewhere she hasn't been able to get out of yet. Part of me thinks they should never go out but I guess most of me thinks they should have the life they were meant to have. That means bad things can happen to them. It's a really f-ed up deal.
All three of my cats took up car wrestling within a couple of months of each other. I think they had some lemming DNA spliced into them.
I gave up on pets years ago. Now I have kids.
Post a Comment