Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Bonomo's Turkish Taffy


One of my fondest childhood memories is going with my mother to William's Market in North Branch, NJ. to buy candy at the candy counter. The best of all the best candies, and there were a lot of bests, was Bonomo's Turkish Taffy. It came in three flavors, chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. I wasn't a big fan of the strawberry flavor but in a pinch, it was just fine! Turkish Taffy wasn't Turkish at all. Although though the creator had Turkish roots, the candy itself was born in a Coney Island, NY. candy factory and the name was all about marketing. This taffy was not gooey or sticky but was rock hard and would last forever. It was necessary to give the candy a good smack on a hard surface to break it into little bite size pieces and then the goodness that was Bonomo'sTurkish Taffy would begin. With careful conservation, one bar could last all day. Well, I suppose it could but I don't ever remember one lasting that long! A few posts ago I wrote about Mr. Bonomo, my first Turkish Van mix kitty. When I found out there was something Turkish about him, well, what else could I name him? Occasionally, I will look around the web to see if someone else out there has decided to make the candy again or if someone thinks what they are making is similar. The closest seems to be French Chew Taffy but I have to say, it's in the ballpark but not a home run. I think it's time to send letters/emails and demand a childhood memory to be put back into production. And sold on the West Coast.

"Bonomo's Turkish Taffy changed hands a few times, in 1980 becoming part of Tootsie Roll Industries of Chicago, which stopped making the candy in 1989. Ellen Gordon, president of Tootsie Roll Industries, said that the company phased out the product when demand declined as tastes changed. "

I want to know who tastes changed? I bet Ellen has an email address....

No comments: