:
Sweet Jody:
Tonight this song came on the cd player and I thought to finally tell you this.: Over all the years that I have heard and loved this song, I have always thought of you. And then thought of me. And then thought of you and me and how we are both beautifully wrapped up in this song. And then I thought of a road trip to the desert and the stars that we still have not taken. I love the ode to Hollywood with the nod to Clark Gable (me) and I love the images that come up about the desert, old western bars and the electric guitar (you). The nod to life as a circus, well, that would be to both of us. How many last bells can we ring before we get out? We need to be more like the elephants and forget to remember. So, click and listen and read. Mrs. Potter's Lullaby is one of the best ever, as are you. We do love our stars, girlfriend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDRvbqOiEtw
Well I woke in mid-afternoon cause that's when it all hurts the most
I dream I never know anyone at the party and I'm always the host
If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts
You can never escape, you can only move south down the coast
Well, I am an idiot walking a tightrope of fortune and fame
I am an acrobat swinging trapezes through circles of flame
If you've never stared off in the distance, then your life is a shame
and though I'll never forget your face, sometimes i can't remember my name
Hey Mrs. Potter don't cry
Hey Mrs. Potter I know why but
Hey Mrs. Potter won't you talk to me
Well, there's a piece of Maria in every song that I sing
And the price of a memory is the memory of the sorrow it brings
And there is always one last light to turn out and one last bell to ring
And the last one out of the circus has to lock up everything
Or the elephants will get out and forget to remember what you said
And the ghosts of the tilt-a-whirl will linger inside your head
And the ferris wheel junkies will spin there forever instead
When I see you a blanket of stars covers me in my bed
Hey Mrs. Potter don't go
Hey Mrs. Potter I don't know but
Hey Mrs. Potter won't you talk to me
All the blue light reflections that color my mind when I sleep
And the lovesick rejections that accompany the company I keep
All the razor perceptions that cut just a little too deep
Hey I can bleed as well as anyone, but I need someone to help me sleep
Sweet Jody:Tonight this song came on the cd player and I thought to finally tell you this.: Over all the years that I have heard and loved this song, I have always thought of you. And then thought of me. And then thought of you and me and how we are both beautifully wrapped up in this song. And then I thought of a road trip to the desert and the stars that we still have not taken. I love the ode to Hollywood with the nod to Clark Gable (me) and I love the images that come up about the desert, old western bars and the electric guitar (you). The nod to life as a circus, well, that would be to both of us. How many last bells can we ring before we get out? We need to be more like the elephants and forget to remember. So, click and listen and read. Mrs. Potter's Lullaby is one of the best ever, as are you. We do love our stars, girlfriend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDRvbqOiEtw
Mrs. Potters Lullaby:
Well I woke in mid-afternoon cause that's when it all hurts the most
I dream I never know anyone at the party and I'm always the host
If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts
You can never escape, you can only move south down the coast
Well, I am an idiot walking a tightrope of fortune and fame
I am an acrobat swinging trapezes through circles of flame
If you've never stared off in the distance, then your life is a shame
and though I'll never forget your face, sometimes i can't remember my name
Hey Mrs. Potter don't cry
Hey Mrs. Potter I know why but
Hey Mrs. Potter won't you talk to me
Well, there's a piece of Maria in every song that I sing
And the price of a memory is the memory of the sorrow it brings
And there is always one last light to turn out and one last bell to ring
And the last one out of the circus has to lock up everything
Or the elephants will get out and forget to remember what you said
And the ghosts of the tilt-a-whirl will linger inside your head
And the ferris wheel junkies will spin there forever instead
When I see you a blanket of stars covers me in my bed
Hey Mrs. Potter don't go
Hey Mrs. Potter I don't know but
Hey Mrs. Potter won't you talk to me
All the blue light reflections that color my mind when I sleep
And the lovesick rejections that accompany the company I keep
All the razor perceptions that cut just a little too deep
Hey I can bleed as well as anyone, but I need someone to help me sleep
So I throw my hand into the air and it swims in the beams
It's just a brief interruption of the swirling dust sparkle jet stream
Well, I know I don't know you and you're probably not what you seem
But I'd sure like to find out
So why don't you climb down off that movie screen
Hey Mrs. Potter don't turn
Hey Mrs. Potter I burn for you
Hey Mrs. Potter won't you talk to me
When the last king of Hollywood shatters his glass on the floor
It's just a brief interruption of the swirling dust sparkle jet stream
Well, I know I don't know you and you're probably not what you seem
But I'd sure like to find out
So why don't you climb down off that movie screen
Hey Mrs. Potter don't turn
Hey Mrs. Potter I burn for you
Hey Mrs. Potter won't you talk to me
When the last king of Hollywood shatters his glass on the floor
And orders another
Well, I wonder what he did that for
That's when I know that I have to get out cause I have been there before
So I gave up my seat at the bar and I head for the door
We drove out to the desert just to lie down beneath this bowl of stars
We stand up in the palace like it's the last of the great pioneer town bars
We shout out these songs against the clang of electric guitars
You can see a million miles tonight
But you can't get very far
Hey Mrs. Potter I won't touch
Hey Mrs. Potter it's not much but
Hey Mrs. Potter won't you talk to me
Well, I wonder what he did that for
That's when I know that I have to get out cause I have been there before
So I gave up my seat at the bar and I head for the door
We drove out to the desert just to lie down beneath this bowl of stars
We stand up in the palace like it's the last of the great pioneer town bars
We shout out these songs against the clang of electric guitars
You can see a million miles tonight
But you can't get very far
Hey Mrs. Potter I won't touch
Hey Mrs. Potter it's not much but
Hey Mrs. Potter won't you talk to me


2 comments:
Petunia - Thank you so much for the ode to Hollywood and the picture of Clark Gable. As for Clark Gable, the desert, and reference to elephants' memories, here are some little tidbits:
One of the most powerful experiences I had in the desert was a few years ago...in a black ink night of Summer at the foot of Indian Head Mountain, Borrego Springs, Anza Borrego desert in California.
Indian Head Mountain is a spectacular, jagged promontory, and is a conspicuous landmark seen and admired by the small population of Borrego Springs, CA.
We had rented a little room at The Palms at Indian Head, an out-of-the-way little motel at the edge of “town”, having only 12 rooms. It is said that the Palms is an old resort from the 1950's and was once a hot spot for movie stars and socialites who wanted to escape the inquisitive eyes of an adoring public. They flew in on private planes and landed on the hotel's own private runway. Clark Gable, Marilyn Monroe, Montgomery Clift and others found the freedom here to do as they pleased, with whom they pleased, into the wee hours of the night.
A few years ago, and as is now, the Palms at Indian Head was and is an unglamerous, falling apart place, stepping back in time to 1950's Hollywood. The rooms are modest and the swimming pool is large, olympic size, a refreshing respite from the summer heat. But it is not the rooms or the pool that call to me. It is the ruins and the ghosts of Hollywood of the 50's, walking on the concrete slabs left from the old buildings and walking on those concrete footprints, imagining what the rooms were like in years past and what went on in those rooms; it is the huge silence of the desert roaring loudly in my ears and the desert wind blowing in tiny gusts, a little puff at a time, lifting my long hair in little tufts away from my face. And, it is the breathing clearly and deeply in the great silence of the immense desert. I traipsed around the grounds, looking at desert fauna and flora, noticing and picking up little desert rocks and watching the business of little desert ants in their scurriness. And, in the dusky evening, there were sounds of the coyotes, calling to each other. Woof-woofies, sounding their sad howling refrain reverberating across the desert.
And later, there we were in the darkest night, below the milky way, with the hot breath of the desert breathing on us.
Wonderful. Magical. By day, tromping around the ruins of the old resort and hiking up to a palm oasis, trudging up Borrego Palm Canyon to a green bunch of palms, and by night, viewing the velvety dark bowl of a sky, with the vivid white milky way shining on high. There were many shooting stars, a shower of traveling light, and when viewing the night sky in that manner, I know for sure that there is a God of great creation and that God’s Eyes are gazing down upon us.
As for reference to elephants forgetting to remember in the Counting Crow’s song, the website, Desert USA, has some good pictures of a Gomphotherium at Galleta Meadows in the Borrego Springs desert, which now has free-standing art structures of creatures who lived in the Borrego Springs area about 3 million years ago. A Gomphotherium is an ancestor of mammoths and elephants. Here’s the site showing pictures: www.desertusa.com/borrego/bs-art.html
So, as can be seen, the Borrego desert in California has in its past both ancient elephants as well as movie stars and the past can be felt even in the present.
Well, my dearest Petunia...so “Here is to Mrs. Potter’s Lullaby and also to you.”
Love to you...lots of it.
Jody
What a great story! I had no idea about any of that or maybe I forgot to remember it. So much more to the song than I knew. Thank you for sharing!
Post a Comment