My Mother used to wake me up for school by annoucing in a cheery morning voice, "It's a beautiful day in Chicago!" I would quietly groan and wonder what Chicago had to do with New Jersey and then Colorado. I would either roll my eyes or think "Tell me what kind of day it is here!" Who is that happy in the morning, anyway? Today while I was out inspecting all that grows in my little backyard, I thought of what she used to say. I Googled it and it turns out to be a phrase of some fame.
I found an article on Time.com, dated August 4, 1941. and it seems radio announcer Everett Mitchell of the Farm and Home Hour radio show used to begin every broadcast with those very words. Who knew? Even more importantly, who knew my mother listened to that? Well, now I know and so do you.
And now I have to say it: "It's a beautiful day in Chicago!" and in SoCal.
This is one of my favorite spots in the yard and what I can see out my back door from my living room. Roses are beautiful in the garden but even better when cut and taken inside.
The succulants are beginning to bloom.
This poor little plant had a tough winter but surprised me with the first gardenia of the season!
All the rain we've had lately has made the lavender, green onions and geraniums very happy.
The bold colors and double blooms make ranunculus some of my favorite flowers to plant.
an instant poser when she sees the camera.
Thank goodness for that.
Iris is my ever present helper in the garden and
an instant poser when she sees the camera.
She is definitely a groovy feline!



2 comments:
Awww, Iris, you are soo beautiful. I want to kiss that pretty pink nose!
Nice flowers....nice cats..
I like this blog..
Thanks for sharing...
___________________
Andrew
The Best PRICE for the BEST ENTERTAINMENT
Post a Comment