Wednesday, February 25, 2009

More troubles for Conde Nast

It seems it's not the cover cost of their magazines that is the problem at Conde Nast. They just don't know how to run their business. If this continues, I expect we will lose a few more of our favorite magazines. Unless you read Golf World....


In today's New York Post:

"They are overstaffed and overpaid. They should have cut back 20 percent when they cut back five," this person said.

That kind of thinking is stirring fears inside that a new round of cuts could be coming. And for the first time in more than a decade, the privately run company led by Chairman S.I. Newhouse Jr. and CEO Charles Townsend could be awash in red ink.

"We continue to manage our business through a difficult economic climate," said a Condé spokeswoman.

Much of the problem rests with Condé's policy of never discounting off the rate card.
"Advertisers are finding that they can buy around them," said the former executive.

Only one magazine in its stable is showing a rise over a year ago: Golf World, a small circulation weekly, that is up 16.5 percent through the Feb. 23 issue.
You can read the article in its entirety here:


I wonder how long it will be before we hear rumblings about Vanity Fair and Vogue? What a waste.

7 comments:

Fifi Flowers said...

NOT VOGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fifi Flowers said...

How are Hearst magazines? Like Bazaar?

Petunia said...

Fifi: This is what I could find on the status at Hearst.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/08/business/media/08hearst.html?ref=media

No mention of Bazar being in trouble.

Petunia said...

Fifi: BUT, this is the kinda thing that will take it down. This is a link that leads you to a site where you can get a FREE subscription of Bazaar as well as many others.. We all know what can happen when they start to give away their magazines.

aways.http://www.dollarish.com/Dollarish/692141815/free-subscription-to-harpers-bazaar/?ref=xn

Anonymous said...

Does that mean that I should stop giving away paintings? My painting will go under?

Petunia said...

Fifi: I think Henri would be horrified to know you are GIVING away his spiritually inspired works of art! Unless it's for a good cause, of course....! Petrunia has a few blank walls in her Castle....

Anonymous said...

Really fabulous photos..keep going..


Thank you very much...

___________________
Andrew
#1 Satellite Television Service Provider