Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Queen of Gossip and my confession...

In addition to being a complete news junkie, I am also a confessed gossip junkie. I live for my daily dose of Page Six, Perez Hilton, TMZ and several of the very juicy daily UK tabloids. In the UK, however, these lovelies are called newspapers! I love it! However, the UK and their version of what is news worthy is not what this post is about.


It is about the fabulous Liz Smith who, after 30 years of writing her gossip column for many of the New York City papers, most recently 14 years at the New York Post, has written her last column today. At 86 years old, she has been fired by the new regime who took over the Post last year and decided her gossip wasn't trashy enough, although they tried to tell her was for economic reasons. She always delivers the goods in an elegant and sophisticated way. One might think that that is why many of the people she writes about actually invite her to their events so that she can write about them. Even when she has something less than complimentary to say about someone, she does it in a way that leaves the person with their dignity intact.
I'LL MISS YOU, NYC

"HAIL AND FAREWELL! This column marks my last for the New York Post, where I've been writing for 14 years. I am sorry to go. But I've lived long enough to know the closing of one door means the opening of another.
I will still be writing a five-days-a-week column for my syndicated TMS newspapers, also twice a week for Daily Variety and especially for the WowOwow Web site, where next month we expect 1 million unique hits (visitors), and it's growing. My daily column also appears in The Drudge Report. I am now a contributing writer for Parade magazine, and you can see my cover story on Liza Minnelli there on Sunday. And I'll still be a showbiz commentator for Fox News weekly on "Lips & Ears."
Tomorrow marks the first time in 33 years that the Liz Smith column will not appear in a New York City newspaper. But it's exhilarating to be fired at age 86. So, thanks for all your support and enthusiasm over the years and much love to each of you ."


Liz, you are a rock star! How many people can say they got fired at 86? Wow....wowOwow.com!


2 comments:

vicki archer said...

Petunia - I too love a good gossip mag or read!
Thank you for your comment on French Essence today and I would like to say that it was a perfect comment. xv

Anonymous said...

Really fabulous photos..keep going..


Thank you very much...

___________________
Andrew
#1 Satellite Television Service Provider